In a reminder of the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 debacle, the right earbud of a Florida resident’s Apple AirPods caught fire and exploded, the media reported.
“Jason Colon of Tampa, Florida was listening to a dance mix at LA Fitness in St. Petersburg when he noticed something strange.”
“He saw white smoke billowing out and left the AirPods on a piece of workout equipment and got help,” NBC-affiliated channel WFLA-TV reported late on Friday.
“I did not see it happen, but I mean, it was already fried! You can see flame damage,” Colon was quoted as saying by the channel.
It is not clear what led to the incident but Apple is said to be investigating.
Notably, this is not the first time a popular device has gone up in flames.
In 2016, Samsung recalled the Galaxy Note 7 after some devices caught fire due to a defect in the batteries.
Several cases of Apple iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus batteries swelling and phones left split-apart were reported in October 2017.
The first case was reported in Taiwan where a woman found her iPhone 8 swollen and in two pieces after plugging it in to charge.